Check out the Teaching Guide for Every Shiny Thing!
Download this PDF flyer for a fun middle grade Scavenger Hunt! Kids can read 12 middle grade books including Every Shiny Thing throughout 2018 and enter to win awesome prizes for themselves and their favorite library.
Here are some popular past blog posts with ideas for teachers. These posts range from the specific and nitty-gritty (step-by-step resources about teaching analytical essay writing) to general and philosophical. Hope you find something helpful here!
Series on teaching students to write essays:
- Teaching Analytical Writing Series
- Teaching Analytical Writing: Essay Skeletons
- Teaching Analytical Writing: Introductions and Conclusions
- Teaching Analytical Writing: The TIQA Paragraph
- Why Teach Analytical Writing?
Posts with specific prompts or suggestions for specific assignments, units, and books:
- 8th Grade Dystopian Unit
- CAPTURE THE FLAG: Another Great Read Aloud
- Celebrating Banned Books Week
- CHAINS and FORGE: Historical Novels that Pass the Student-Interest Test
- Drawing to Learn: Visual Projects in the English Classroom
- Epistolary Fanfiction: A Story and an Exercise
- How Structured Writing Assignments Can Unleash Creativity
- LIAR AND SPY: An Excellent Read-Aloud Novel
- Middle School Girl Culture Mini-Course
- Read Alouds: Fall 2015
- Short, Fun Projects to Energize Student (and Adult) Writers
- Teaching All American Boys: Resources for Addressing Sensitive Topics and Engaging Students
- Why I [Fill in the Blank]
Posts about pedagogy:
- “Why are we allowed to read this…?”
- Reading Aloud in a Middle School English Classroom
- Reading Levels Don’t Tell You Everything: A Great Book Is a Great Book
- Relating to a book vs. liking it: A(nother) case against “girl books” and “boy books”
- The Value of Failure?
Posts about author visits and Skypes:
- An Inspiring Author Visit with Eliot Schrefer
- Exceeding My Expectations: A Great Author Visit at a Hectic Time
- Excited about E-Books: An Author Visit from Andrea J. Buchanan
- Highlights from A.S. King’s Author Visit
- Skyping with a True Pro
- Takeaways from Last Year’s Author Events
- Technology and Human Connection: Skyping with Grace Lin